Sunday, January 29, 2012

Immortal Bird: A Family Memoir by Doron Weber

Published: February 7th 2012
Pages: 351
Stars: ★ ★ ★ ★
**ARC courtesy of Simon & Schuster**

A stirring, gorgeously written memoir of a father's struggle to protect his son - a model student and gifted actor - from a rare heart condition that threatens his life.

Damon Weber is a brilliant kid - a skilled actor and a natural leader at school. Born with a congenital heart defect that required surgery when he was a baby, Damon’s spirit and independence have always been a source of pride to his parents, who vigilantly look for any signs of danger.

Unbowed by frequent medical checkups, Damon proves to be a talent on stage, appears in David Milch's HBO series Deadwood, and maintains an active social life, whenever he has the energy. But running through Damon's coming-of-age in the shadow of affliction is another story: Doron's relentless search for answers about his son’s condition in a race against time.

Immortal Bird is a searing account of a father's struggle to save his remarkable son: a moving story of a young boy's passion for life, a family's love, the perils of modern medicine, and the redemptive power of art in the face of the unthinkable.


I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of Immortal Bird from Simon & Schuster publishing company. So naturally I made this book a top priority and I finished it within 3 days of starting. I knew that it would be a hard book to read but I am very happy to have received it and read about Damon's Story. Disclaimer: This review is my honest thoughts. Receiving this free ARC had nothing to do with how I read or thought of this memoir.

Damon, Doron and the rest of his family went through something I can't even picture having to go through. It really reminded me about being grateful for the life that we do have and that while life might look hard at times, it could always be worse. It also made me realize how bad this world is becoming. Is nothing worth anything unless it has to do with money? Anyway, I am not trying to rant right now but Immortal Bird really touched my heart. It was a breathe-taking and heart-breaking story that I will never forget. I really hurt for Doron's story and I can't even picture what he had to go through just to write this memoir but I also realize that it was a story that had to be told.

With that being said, I urge anyone that is interested in Doron and Damon's story, to pick up Immortal Bird when it arrives on shelves February 7th and I hope that it touches everyone in the same way that it touched me.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished listening to unabridged version of "Immortal Bird"... To be honest I many times I found myself wanting to distance myself from the words because the low points in the book. Unfortunately, because this book attaches itself to your heart I continued to listen and become drawn in more and more into the life of Damon Weber. The book was beautifully sad and inspiring. I found myself routing and crying for Damon like he was one of my own family members. Congratulations Doron Weber on writing a book that oozes love. I know that because of the medical details that you put into writing the book, other families will benefit from all the research you did all in the name of love.

    ReplyDelete